Surgery

I wrote this in multiple parts. Please forgive the discontinuity. 

I learned a long time ago that minor surgery is when they do the operation on someone else, not you. ~Bill Walton

So today I have surgery. In two hours, I'm to get up, scrub down with wipes after having showered only a few hours ago, put on another set of clean clothes, and go see a man about a hernia.

I'm not going to lie, I'm more than a little nervous. I've never had surgery, outsider of some really minor dental surgery in college. 

(Full confession, I dozed off while writing)

Now I'm up. Cleaned again. Just waiting. Waiting is the hardest part, people say.

All I can think is, did I scrub enough? Jim says you have to scrub really well to cut down on risk of infection.

For those of who were caught off-guard by today's surgery, so was I. When I started feeling poorly, I figured out pretty quick it was a hernia. So I made an appointment with a doc, she agreed and sent me on to a surgeon. There was about a month, I think, between those appointments. In my head, i expected surgery, but I still hoped for another solution. 

That appointment was two weeks ago. Two weeks from then to today's surgery.

It's amazing the things you do in a month's time that you don't realize.

(Six hours later)

I'm home. Not terribly woozy. Slightly in pain. 

I don't remember a thing. It's funny how well you sleep in surgery. 

Thanks for reading and praying friends. Please forgive my mistakes in this blog. When my brain's less foggy, I'll try to post again.

And now, for posterity, my post-surgery dopey photo from mom.


Comments

Popular Posts