Be slightly strange

"The world can be amazing when you're slightly strange." ~Unknown

I've tried to find the source of this quote, but no luck so far. I absolutely love this.

I think it struck a chord, because the older I get the more I'm learning that it's okay to be strange. To own your strangeness. I'm convinced that's half the reason my husband loves me — because I'm a pretty strange gal when you get to know me.

Today is our date-a-versary, as I call it. It's not a day we're really going to put a lot of celebration into, but it's the week that started us off and today is the date of our first "date." By some people's standards, it wouldn't be a date, but for us it was and it was perfect.

I talked about how we met in this post from last year. And even a little bit about that first date, but on this, our date-a-versary, it seems fitting to share more about that meeting.

See, prior to Jim, I never dated. I'm not exaggerating either, I truly didn't date. I was focused on school for so long and I didn't want to get distracted on that. Plus, the timing was never right. I met guys who were nice guys and good friends. There were times when I thought, maybe, I could see something happening here. But it never did. I always wanted to be pursued and none really did.

None until Jim.

And to be honest, it scared me to death when I figured out what he was doing. So I stalled him a bit.

Then, after prayer and talking with a mutual friend, I threw caution to the wind and went for it. I figured, A. he's persistent and B. if I'm ever going to find that kind of thing, I have to open myself up to it. So I threw him a test.

With little warning, maybe half an hour, I invited him to the park with myself and Luna. I wanted to know how he would do with my pretty girl — it was really a test to see if he ACTUALLY liked dogs and if she liked him. Because if she didn't, he was a no-go. And if he didn't like dogs, then that would be the excuse I needed to say no.

Of course, Luna likes everyone. So I guess on her side it really wasn't much of a test. And, Jim did like her. In fact, he likes dogs as much as me; he just pretends to be the sensible one.

Plus, I figured the park was a very safe, public space. I mean, you can't be too careful when it comes to meeting a guy you barely know!

I still remember when we first spotted him in the park. I had butterflies as he walked toward us and Luna was wagging her tail. Like I said, she loves people. 

I was wearing a t-shirt and stretchy capris (another part of the test — I wasn't trying to impress, I was trying to be comfortable!) and he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, sunglasses and a hat. I'm pretty sure he had quickly gone home to freshen up, as to impress, because I remember he smelled really good.

But what I remember most is that we just walked for a while, without saying much. I think we were both working up the courage to talk. It sounds silly, considering we were both adults. But sometimes, when the butterflies strike, adults are about as silly as teenagers in love ;) 

I sometimes reflect on how much has changed since that day. Who would have thought two nervous almost-strangers in the park would turn into love. But here we are. Cheesy, corny, silly, and both of us, strange!

What can I say? I love this guy.






Stay tuned for a project in the coming weeks featuring the quote.




Comments

  1. This is so heartwarming :) you look so happy together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for reading! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts