What's your passion?



"Chase down your passion like it's the last bus of the night." ~ Terri Guillemets

It's bright and early and the newsroom is abuzz with sounds. 

Most people don't realize that reporters, at least at our daily, are expected in to work by 7:30, 8 at the latest. I, unfortunately, am one of the latest.

But the sounds. For a writer, I'm a big fan of sounds. Some days, it drives me crazy. I can hear everyone, from our Features editor interviewing on the phone, to the Advertising ladies discussing ad issues, to the Sports guys in the back talking about last night's game. 

Today, I'm loving it. Of course, I'm also not stressing or on deadline at this time of 10:05, as I've finished what I had to do and it's in the hands of layout people at this point…but I am loving it.

There's something about being in a newsroom. Sometimes it's deadly quiet in here. But when the place buzzes, it's awesome to experience. 

This is a big part of what I do. And why I do it. The thrill of the story, the pulse of the deadline. 

I love telling people's stories, which is good considering that I'm doing a lot of feature-type writing. 

There's just something about 'seeing' an article come together. Hearing the interview play out in your head, envisioning as the words and the character of a person play through in your head. 

As silly as it may seem, I love it. No matter the type of story. Yes, there are ones I'd like to keep my distance from, but they still have to be told. And sometimes, I get the honor of telling them. 

This is what I love about my job. I'm not going to lie, I hate the mornings, I've never been a morning person. Sometimes, I don't want to get up. Sometimes, people stress me out. But, in a second, that can turn around. 

Something big happens. Something good happens. Something happens. 

And the adrenaline flows and the place is abuzz, again. 

One of my first weeks on the job, I interviewed a hairdresser. She was deaf and had  just moved to a new salon. Despite her struggles, despite the doubters, despite it all, she kept at it until she was able to do what she loved.

Too often, you hear of those who don't love what they do after they finally get where they thought they wanted. But not Gloria. She still loves what she does. Probably because she does it from her heart.

It has to come from your heart. You don’t want to feel like going to work is going to work. You want to feel like you’re every day going to your passion. Once you have what you do for your passion, you don’t really feel like you’re going to work.

And I believe it. 

That could be why I had a blast Thursday, as I wandered for hours talking to total strangers who were going to be taking part in the re-enactment at the Battle of Perryville (you should totally check it out if you don't have plans tomorrow...but be forewarned, the roads are narrow and traffic will be tight). They are all so passionate about what they do. 

That passion, that drive, the thing that people love to do, that's part of why I love my job. If someone is excited about a topic, even if it's one that I have no interest in or understanding of, I become excited for them. Hopefully, my readers will too. 

Comments

Popular Posts