Final presentation!

Be sincere; be brief; be seated. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt, on speechmaking

As I have said many times to anyone who listen, I hate giving presentations. However, I know that they are sometimes a necessary evil.

This past week, I gave my final presentation for my internship class. And it was a short one. I put Roosevelt's words into action.

This particular presentation was on blogging and was given to the Intro to Journalism and Public Relations course that I am also enrolled in. Mainly, the point to was to give these students certain tips on making their blogs more audience-centered and interactive.

One thing that I figured out, which I suppose is something that has taken me four years of college to learn, is that the more you give speeches and presentations, the better and more comfortable you will become. I've always been told this but never believed it. Maybe I'm a slow learner in some ways.

Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours. ~Richard Bach

Despite my complaining about presentations and my fear at giving them, they never really are as bad as I think. Not that I want to make a habit out this public speaking thing, but it's not so bad.

When we realize that there are things we must do and that certain things are inevitable, I believe it makes them easier to handle. Granted, we are still going to complain (at least I certainly do) but, for some reason, they are actually sometimes easier to do. I suppose that is because we realize that, no matter how badly we want to avoid these things, we have no choice. The earlier that acceptance comes, the better off one is.

While I still maintain that I am a poor public speaker and I will refuse to do it on a large scale, it really isn't so bad. And maybe I am not as bad at it as I think.

But I'd much rather stick to writing.

Comments

Popular Posts