Why journalism?

Part of being a journalist is the unknown. There is a certain mystery that goes along with the field. Not the job description itself, that’s pretty straightforward; journalists are there to tell a story.

The mystery is the journalist themselves. We are required to be silent and not get in the way of the story. Yes, journalists present the story, but mainly, they stay silent and out of the way.

Another mysterious aspect of being a journalist is the details beyond the basic definition. There is no guarantee from day-to-day. That’s what makes it such an interesting job. One day, there may be a story on a tragic wreck. The next hour, the story may be a human interest piece on a family. There is an element of change and surprise.

I can’t wait to start my career. The prospect of hearing and sharing people’s stories interests me. It’s what makes life matter, knowing and caring about others and sharing that knowledge with the world. I’m an optimist and a dreamer. I imagine myself being one of those responsible for informing the world. It inspires me to work hard to make this happen.

Being a writer is what I want to do. My biggest wish is that I could find a job where I can travel and write. I’m publishing this wish and making yet another commitment to myself. This time I am committing to work hard and push myself beyond my wildest dreams.

I’m not going to be scared of the future and what’s out there. I’m going to jump in, feet first, and give it my all.

Comments

Popular Posts